Sunday 9 October 2011

No-fuss Count-less positioning of repeats

It seemed like no matter how many times I'd count the stitches in long rows I'd always end up having to add one or two by the time I got to the end of the row. 

So for a shawl without a centre seam where the pattern is positioned after a row of increases and a repeat of up to 10 stitches, I don't count all the stitches. I just work until I have finished a repeat and am about 50 stitches from the end. Then I see whether I have the right number of stitches to work the edge stitches. and full repeats.  If not I work a few extra increases/decreases to get the right number (spread over about 50 stitches the extra stitches will not be noticeable). 

If I need a  repeat of 9 and I realise I have 6 extra stitches the I'll increase 3 for another repeat, but if I have only 3 extra then I decrease three.

For a repeat of 9 at most I will be adjusting by 4.

Because the extra increases/decreases are worked after a row of increases they won't really be noticeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment